Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Crumbs



My eleventh grade English teacher was a woman named Doc Elliot, a self-professed Emily Dickinson fanatic. To commemorate Dickinson's birthday every December 10th, she covered the chalkboard with Dickinson's poems and brought in boxes of glazed doughnuts. Dickinson was not only one of the greatest American poets, Doc told us, but an outstanding baker who specialized in doughnuts. So we celebrated her birthday with both, reading and eating in nearly equal parts. I imagine (though I cannot recall with any certainty) that the following poem was up on the board:


God Gave a Loaf to Every Bird
God gave a loaf to every bird.
But just a crumb to me;
I dare not eat it, though I starve,--
My poignant luxury
To own it, touch it, prove the feat
That made the pellet mine,--
Too happy in my sparrow chance
For ampler coveting.


It might be famine all around,
I could not miss an ear,
Such plenty smiles upon my board,
My garner shows so fair.
I wonder how the rich may feel,--
An Indiaman,-- an Earl?
I deem that I with but a crumb,
Am sovereign of them all.


Though Dickinson is clearly not speaking literally of crumbs and loaves here (though one is never quite sure, as Dickinson enjoys the layering of the metaphoric and the material) I use this to consider a moment just this week, when a particular "crumb" made me ponder my own plenty.

My youngest, Gabriel, undertook doughnut making for his school science project, along with his dad. I am only now getting in on the action after sampling some plain old glazed doughnuts (not bad), Turkish doughnuts (lightly spicy and wonderful, but really, really oily) and the absolutely out-of-this world baking powder doughnuts. I thought about these doughnuts all the time when they were in the house and we decided to make them all over again because...well, I had a craving. It was a craving like I haven't had in years, and certainly not for doughnuts, which have long been out of favor with me, despite an obsession with Winchell's in my teenage years. Well, these baking powder doughnuts are divine, cakey, with a gorgeous crumb and the slightest hint of citrus, and may be the best I have ever eaten. Saturday morning my husband brought me a cup of hot, strong coffee and one of these doughnuts; I enjoyed my repast in bed, while reading poetry. I felt like royalty. I think Emily--and good old Doc Elliott--would approve.


The recipe is found on cooks.com but I will reproduce here, with some small changes.
Baking Powder Doughnuts

2 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
3 T melted butter
2 T lemon juice

3 1/2 cups flour (all-purpose, unbleached)
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
2 tsp grated orange peel (no pith, please!)
2 egg whites, beaten until stiff


Combine flour, baking powder and salt together. In a separate, large bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored. Add sugar gradually and continue beating until light in color. Conintue beating while adding lemon juice, orange peel and melted butter. Add the dry ingredients to the egg yolk mixture one cup at a time, until completely integrated. Stir in the milk. Fold in the egg whites.
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board and knead until smooth. Roll out to 1/4 " thickness. Cut with a floured doughnut cutter; drop doughnuts into hot oil (350 degrees) deep enough so that doughnuts don't touch the bottom of the pan. Fry, turning once until entire doughnut is golden brown. Drain on towels briefly. Glaze these or sprinkle with sugar. Enjoy while warm (though they are great the next day).

Sugar on its own works well, but we made a glaze of sugar, water and vanilla. Powdered sugar works well for a glaze, but don't use a brand with cornstarch, as this can make a bitter glaze. I made my own by grinding sugar in the coffee grinder and then combining about 2 parts sugar to 1 part water and 1 tsp vanilla. We also made one batch of glaze with bourbon in place of the vanilla. All scrumptious.

3 comments:

  1. You are so putting me to shame here. Last week I proudly made homemade donuts for the kids using the Pillsbury biscuit dough that comes in those small cannisters. I realize that they are loaded w/ trans fats, but my desire for malasadas (portuguese donust from Hawaii) and my children's hero worship of yours truly got the better of me, and I made them, just as my mom had done for me. I was a hero for the day. I might just have to save up my trans fat points for these little nuggets of fried dough goodness sprinkled with sugar. But now that I have your recipe, who knows.

    Tonight I am making pizza. The dough is rising in the bread machine as I type. I might even blog about it. miss you guys. ;) t.

    ReplyDelete
  2. T-No shame! I don't believe in shame! Dean and Gabriel did all the hard work; I assembled a few ingredients and made the glaze.
    Love to hear about the pizza and want to know how the gingebread came out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey A. I have to confess that I have the gingerbread cookie dough in my freezer. I'm thinking of making gingerbread valentine's day cookies. Who knows how it's going to turn out since it's been in there so long. I'll keep you informed.

    The Pizza! Cheese. Sausage & Mushroom. Tomato & Basil. All delicious. I also added roasted garlic to some of them. I used a rolling pin to flatten the dough and was able to get it fairly thin. Yummy. Even yummy the next day heated in a toaster oven. I can't believe how easy it is to make the pizza dough in the bread maker. I can't believe I've been buying dough all these years while my bread machine was parked comfortably in the garage.

    ReplyDelete