Thursday, December 16, 2010

Gingerbread cookies


This recipe, for soft gingerbread boys and girls, originates from The Betty Crocker Cookbook circa 1958 and they have been a staple for the holidays in my family since I was a baby; I started making them as a pre-teen. They served as place cards for Christmas dinner at my parents' house for a long time. After giving them a base of white buttercream frosting, I would write a name on each in green or red frosting. I still make them for my Aunt Mary and Uncle Hall in California, who spent every Christmas with us when I still lived out there; I put those names on, pack them up in plastic and bubble wrap and off they go. My Aunt and Uncle tell me that they arrive in good shape every year.

I now make them with some whole wheat flour. I used butter or margarine in the past but I've found that expeller-pressed safflower or sunflower oil make a cookie that is even more tender. I do not use margarine any more, nor do I use Crisco at all for food, though it can work as a heavy-duty moisturizer. Any icing you like will work well, but my relatives insist on a buttercream, which is more difficult for intricate decorating, but always tastes delicious. These cookies are wonderful plain as well. The dough can stay in the freezer for up to a week, but no longer.


Gingerbread cookies, aka "Gingies"


1/3 cup shortening/butter/veg oil

1 cup brown sugar

1 1/2 cup molasses

2/3 cup cold water

7 cups flour (I use up to 2 cups whole wheat)

2 tsp baking soda

1 1/2 tsp each ginger, cinnamon, cloves

1 tsp allspice


Sift all dry ingredients together.
In a large bowl, mix brown sugar with oil; add the molasses and stir until completely combined. Pour in water and mix until smooth and combined. Stir in the dry ingredients and combine thoroughly, but don't overwork the dough. Chill dough completely. It can just stay in the bowl if you are planning on using it the same day. This makes quite a few cookies so you might consider freezing half the dough if you aren't going to use it all within a day or two. It is best when the dough is very fresh.


Roll dough out thick (1/2'') on lightly floured surface and cut out shapes. These don't have to be gingerbread men; these work well as large cookies of any shape. Bake far apart on lightly greased baking sheet or parchment. 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until set. Don't let these get overly brown; that means they are over done! Cool completely before icing, but don't let that stop you from trying them while still warm.

2 comments:

  1. I can't resist Ari's comments and am now fixated on making these. I have to go to the store in the morning to buy molasses so that I can take this over to Julie's. I will let you know how my version turns out. Thx.

    ReplyDelete